Friday, July 4, 2008

Hancock



I should start out by saying that I am a fan of the big, dumb summer movie. Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, I Robot, if it is a big summer movie I usually love it. Hancock is the exception to this. Right from the start Hancock can't figure out what it wants to be; comedy, action movie, drama, super-hero movie. The plot jumps back and forth between all these genres so much that after a while I just felt bored and could really care less about what is going on. I kid you not half way through the movie I started thinking that I would have been more entertained at home watching Speed for the umpteenth time.

The stars; Will Smith, Charlize Theron, Jason Bateman, are all likable enough but the material they are given here just makes them all come off as smug and uncaring most of the movie. Hancock is the story of a superhero who could care less about what people think about him or what he does in the process of saving the day. This leads the people of L.A. to not respect him and just wish he would go away, they suggest NY. (By the end of the movie I was wishing that I was in NY rather than the theater watching this, or perhaps on the Speed bus!) After Hancock saves a PR exec, played by Bateman, he takes it upon himself to remake Hancock's image against the advice of his wife, played by Theron.

Now in case you do go see this movie I won't say anymore. I will say that there were others in my group that were okay with this movie but I just expect more from my dumb summer movies, especially those that star Will Smith. I wanted to like Hancock, I really did, but sadly I just felt indifferent the whole time watching it, not a good feeling for a big, dumb summer movie to make you feel. Maybe you will have better luck. Overall Grade: C+




I have to disagree with my colleague just a bit. The first half of this movie I thoroughly enjoyed. It was super funny and I liked that Will Smith wasn't his usual self and I am ALWAYS a fan of Jason Bateman. I could have done without Charlize Theron, but she didn't bug me. I loved the chemistry between Will Smith and Jason Bateman. The part where Hancock is helping him into bed had me laughing out loud.




There were a couple bizarre parts, that they definitely could have done with out. The second half of the movie went severely down hill. It didn't have much of a plot and they glossed over so much that I was just left not getting all of it.




With all that being said. I really liked the special effects. It was entertaining and I was never bored. I agree with Eric that they should have had a little more direction. I think it was a good movie to see on the big screen and it was fun to see it once. I didn't feel like I wished I had seen something else.




Caitlin

2 comments:

djb said...

Thanks for the heads-up.

Jess said...

I really liked Hancock! I am a bit biased though--because I love Will Smith and Jason Bateman... But, I enjoyed it. The effects were great and even though the second half lacked a bit of direction, I was never bored and always wanted to know what would come next. And, I have to say, it surprised me.