Thursday, July 17, 2008

Batman Begins

In honor of the new Batman movie that comes out on Friday, I thought it would be appropriate to spotlight it's predecessor, Batman Begins. I love this movie. It is dark, it is intense, it contains really great acting. (Well, all except the "deer in the headlights" Katie Holmes, who I have liked in the past, but didn't feel like she pulled this one off. I am excited to see what Maggie Gyllenhaall brings to the screen)

This is (so far) my favorite super hero movie ever. I love Christian Bale as Batman. He is not only extremely sexy, but strong and a fantastic actor. I didn't remember how scary they made the Scarecrow until I watched it again last night. He is one of the scarier villains I have seen.


I am a huge fan of the director Chris Nolan (think Memento), and am excited to see what he comes up with in The Dark Knight. I had forgotten how many seriously seasoned actors were in this movie. (Caine, Freeman, Wilkinson, Neeson, Oldman, Hauer) With a cast like this, you can definitely expect greatness. If you get a chance, I would re-watch this movie before you go see the new one. If you haven't seen this movie, I would completely recommend it. I just wouldn't take small children. These new movies are not like the old Michael Keaton ones with a portly penguin and a cheesy Mr. Freeze. This is dark, just how Batman should be.

Caitlin

I too loved this movie. It is one of my favorite comic book movies...ever. The reason I liked this so much was because it took away all the campy elements of the first Batman movies (nipples on the batsuit?!?!) and replaced them with a great story and characters that you could really relate to, well at least relate to better than a penguin man. I didn't even mind Katie Holmes in it, but am totally fine with her being replaced by Maggie, who I think will and an extra umph (ie: better acting) to the character. I can't wait to see The Dark Knight and it is all because of this movie.

Eric

2 comments:

Nonda's Wife said...

As I was reading this I was worried because Eric and I had recently talked about this movie and I thought he was writing...Not so much worried as ready to call him up and tell him it is okay if he thinks Bale is sexy and hot, I totally understand. But I agree with you I think this is the best batman and superhero movie yet. I just watched it for the first time a few days ago and wondered why I had waited so long. Can't wait to see The Dark Knight!

Jess said...

Love it, love it, love it!