Thursday, June 25, 2009

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

After reading a few mostly negative reviews I went into Transformers with low expectations. I wish I could say that it helped. Don't get me wrong the movie was entertaining and I wasn't expecting Oscar worthy stuff but there were a few things that kept me form liking the movie more then I did. First of all at almost 3 hours the movie was just toooooo long. Once you've seen a few giant robots battling it out you don't need 10 more fight scenes to prove your point, we get it, these robots really don't like each other. Next, while the special effects are amazing a little more attention to detail would have been nice. For instance, I don't remember downtown LA being in Egypt. I mean come on, you have robots that transform into cars and you can't photo shop out LA's skyscrapers? And while I am on the subject, the last time I was in Washington DC there weren't vast open spaces for airplane parking outside of the Smithsonian nor were there mountains outside of it either. Perhaps I have seen to many movies but these little things just chipped away at the movies credibility, a movie about giant robots non the less. Also the movie just felt like it had a whole lot going on, it could have easily been two movies with all the plot lines taking place. There are a few comic characters that break up all the explosions and robot death matches to keep the movie on a lighter footing. But overall it just felt to heavy and in the end this movie fails to live up to the first. While the first movie was just big dumb summer fun this movie seems to focus more on the big and dumb while throwing in a bit of fun, mostly as an afterthought. I am sure the movie will be a monster hit and you will have to let me know if you thought it was any better. Like I said, it was entertaining, it just could have been so much better...and shorter.

1 comment:

caitlin said...

Good review, and good to know. Maybe I will wait to see it when I can RedBox it and take breaks throughout.