Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees


I participate in a book club, and this months book was "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. It is a New York Times bestseller. You can also watch for it on the big screen as they are making it into a movie as well.

Set in South Carolina in 1964, the story is centered around Lily Owens. It introduces the relationship with her father, and how it is being without her mother. It shows her journey to Tiburon, South Carolina where she meets a trio of black beekeeping sisters, Lily is introduced into their world of bees, honey, and Black Mary.

I couldn't believe how much I liked this book. Mainly because it has been pretty hyped up for me. It is on a lot of my family and friends favorite book lists. And I have to say that after reading it, it is definitely on mine as well. The way the author describes what the characters are seeing is amazing. I could see everything. I felt what the author was trying to convey. After reading this I craved to stay in the "bee house", to drink the Coca Cola and pour in peanuts, to sit and talk to August on the porch, and to wander to the stone wall and stream. In fact the first thing that popped into my head when I saw a cockroach at work was to grab the marshmallows! (too bad for the roach that my shoe was closer)

I loved how this story showed a female community and the strength they gained from each other. I identified with each of the female characters. I am telling you that if you enjoy reading, you will be able to appreciate this book. I would even recommend it to my dad. Oh and speaking of him, this book helped me realize how incredibly lucky I am to have a mom who is alive and one of my best friends and a dad who is my hero and in a million years would never make me kneel on grits!

I have concerns about the movie as I do with most movies inspired by books. I wonder if it will be possible to capture the characters, paint the picture of where it all takes place, and make me feel what I felt when I read it. I am going in skeptical, but hopeful.

Read this book!

Caitlin

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKED IT!! BUT YOU MIGHT BE A LITTLE NUTTY IF YOU DON'T HUH?? O I BETTER BE CAREFUL WITH THAT WHAT IF SOMEONE AT BOOK CLUB DOESN'T LIKE IT??? O WELL!! I'M WITH YOU AND THE MOVIE. I'M NOT SURE IF THEY CAN LIVE UP TO THE BOOK:) SEE YOU SOON. CAN'T WAIT TO TALK ABOUT THE BOOK!!!

caitlin said...

Yeah good pick Linds.

Silver Pelican Photography said...

I liked this book too. It has been awhile since I read it, I should revisit it. One of my new loves (LOVES!) is the Book Thief. I found it so moving. If you ever need a good book to read I highly recommend it. It is on my top 3 list of all time for book!
~Lindsey

he said/she said said...

Ooh I am excited. Thanks for the tip. There are few things I love more than finding a truly good book and forgetting about real life for awhile.

caitlin said...

oops, forgot to sign that from me.. still getting used to having two blogs.

Shan @ Design Gal said...

I LOVED this book! Fun new site toO! (yours that is)

caitlin said...

Oh thanks Shan!