Monday, June 30, 2008

27 Dresses

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride? Even the premise is obvious. No way that the girl with the 27 bridesmaids dresses is going to meet a handsome man, and actually get married in this movie! (oops! I ruined it... oh, wait, no I didn't... even a seat belt could predict that!)

Rented this over the weekend. If you go into this movie not expecting much I think you will like it more than I did. I had people telling me they loved it, so I was expecting a classic chick flick, that I would be able to watch over and over. (ie: While You Were Sleeping, Return to Me, You've Got Mail, Notting Hill) I liked this movie okay.

I am getting a little sick of watching a movie and being able to predict every single thing. This movie was funny in parts. But nothing I would talk to people about later and quote it. I know that some are going to disagree with me. But I have to say. It was not my favorite. I liked it once, but will never watch it again.

Cast includes Katherine Heigl, Judy Greer, Ed Burns, Malin Akerman, and James Marsden. I wasn't liking James Marsden in other things, but since Enchanted and this movie, he is growing on me. I enjoyed him in this part.

The movie left me feeling a little blah, and unfulfilled. I do have to say that it entertained me, and it was a nice distraction from cleaning my house. I am just glad I rented it. I also feel like had I seen it before anyone had told me anything about it, I would have liked it a touch better.

Should you rent it? Yeah, why not? It's worth a rent, and it was fun to curl up in bed with. Just don't go in expecting anything original. I think most girls would like this movie, but the men better stay away. Bob watched it for a second and quickly stepped out of the room to play video games. (shocking)
Caitlin
Okay I admit that I saw this movie as well. 27 Dresses was one of the movies on my flight to Hawaii and I stopped watching after about 2 minutes. Now this can not all be blamed on the movie as it was also a horrible flight but I was not about to make it worse by watching this movie, so I turned to the trusty iPod.
Well a few weeks later I was home sick and remembered that those who had watched this on the flight said it was okay, not great, but okay. Well I was sick and wanted to watch something I hadn't seen so I went this route. I have to say that I went in with low expectations, like Caity said this movie was very predictable. I don't really have a problem with that as most movies these days seem like they were all written from Screenplays for Dummies. But the redeeming factor for me was the humor. I wasn't expecting the movie to be as funny as it was or maybe it was just the fact that I was sick. Either way I was pleasantly surprised that I did not hate the movie and it made me laugh out loud a few times, which is all I really wanted from the movie. I mean it's not like the plot was going to provide any surprises or suspense, but when does a chick flick?
All in all I agree with Caity that this movie is good for a rental, especially if you are just looking for something to pass a few hours and take your mind off things.
Eric

No comments: