Saturday, May 2, 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine



I was excited to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine as X-Men was, and is, my favorite comic book based movie. Sadly the new Wolverine movie did not live up to my expectations. I really don't have any issues of the story about the origins of Wolverine. You don't go into comic book movies expecting Shakespeare. However the story really doesn't live up to the first two X-Men movies, it is more in line with the third X-Men movie. Sure you learn about where Wolverine comes from and you really can't find fault in the way Hugh Jackman brings the character to life by adding in the little bits of humor the movie could use more of.



The main fault I find with this movie is the special effects. They really felt low class and at times come across as just plain cheesy. And not cheesy in a good way. We are talking about Wolverines trademark claws looking so fake you can't possibly take them seriously. Which is a shame because Wolverine really deserved better (and it was better in the first movies so you know it can be done).



Perhaps if you go in with lower expectations you will enjoy the movie more then I did. Sadly by the time the movie ended I just left feeling disappointed. Oh well at least I have the first two X-Men movies to reverse that disappointment.

3 comments:

alysha said...

while I am no movie critic, I am a huge x-men fan!! The movie, agreed, fell short in special effects especially with the cgi claws, and the fat mutant. But I loved almost every character , and was entertained from beginning to end.
Also, one added thing that sort of bugged me us that they didn't use the same Scott (cyclops), he isn't that much older than the teen actor they used.

caitlin said...

Oh no! See I was the one that wasn't excited to see it, until I saw the previews and then I got super excited. But it sounds like I was right from the beginning. Too bad!

he said/she said said...

Alysha, I like you, am no movie critic but that doesn't stop me! I agree with you on the characters, I just wish we would have gotten more of them, it didn't seem like they were around very long. I guess thats why it was called Wolverine and not X Men 4. Oh well, heres hoping Star Trek is better! Bring on the summer movies!