Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Quick Reviews: State of Play, 17 Again, Bedtime Stories

It must have been the weekend because I ended up watching 3 movies. Here is a quick recap of each.

  • State of Play: I really enjoyed this movie. I am a fan of thrillers that make you use your brain. It has been awhile since I have seen a good old fashioned political thriller. While the movie was a little on the long side I didn't find myself getting bored at any point during the movie. The cast is great and full of many well known stars: Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck, Helen Mirren, Rachel McAdams, Robin Wright Penn, and it just keeps going. If you are looking for a lot of action then this movie isn't for you. This is a thinking man's, or women's, movie.
  • 17 Again: I admit that I laughed a lot during this movie. Sure it is predictable down to the last scene, but you are laughing down to the last scene. I have never seen Zac Efron in anything before this but thought he did a good job, especially since he was basically carrying this movie. Think of this a Big only in reverse and you pretty much know what you are in for. Some humor in this is not for the under 8 crowd as it leans a little more on the teen/adult side.
  • Bedtime Stories: Not your typical Adam Sandler movie but at the same time it is your typical Adam Sandler movie, just aimed for a younger crowd. If you have younger kids they will be sure to enjoy this movie since the Bedtime Stories that are told take a strange twist and come to life the next day. The movie felt a little rushed and seemed like some of the special effects were an afterthought. Overall I did laugh, mostly at the minor characters and the guinea pig, but I am glad that I saw this one on DVD when all was said and done.

No comments: