Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Sum of All Fears


Based on the novel by Tom Clancy, The Sum of All Fears is the story about two nations having to make life changing choices after an attack and how fear plays into those choices.
I have seen this movie many times and watched it again recently after catching the first half on cable. The movie stars Ben Affleck and Morgan Freeman, who both do a great job here. For those of you familiar with the Jack Ryan movies or books; The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, you know that you are in for an action packed, white knuckle ride. The Sum of All Fears is kind of like a reboot of those movies, with Affleck stepping into the part of Jack Ryan last played by Harrison Ford. And all said and done I think he does a convincing job and more than holds his own. Throw in Freemen and a cast of well known actors and the cast is rounded out quite nicely.
The plot finds Jack Ryan working at the Russian Desk at the CIA where he is pulled into the middle of this whole mess and ultimately must do what he thinks is right for the country. I don't want to give away to much to those who have not seen this. But if you are looking for a good thinking man's, or women's, movie then look no further. I was still on edge and I have seen it many times.
-Eric

2 comments:

Jess said...

I like it. And, while I think Ben Affleck has made horrendous choices in his films sometimes, I think the guy is under-rated as an actor. He really can hold his own.

Anonymous said...

Ben Affleck FTL