Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The House Bunny

As most you know, or maybe don't, August is the dumping ground for bad movies. Studios just hoist a lot of really bad movies on us in August getting ready for their fall and Holiday movies. So I went into The House Bunny knowing full well that it would not be winning any awards and just hoped it would be entertaining. I admit that I laughed at the previews for it and I am fond of Anna Faris who deserves much better then the movies she has been in.

The premise of The House Bunny is as follows. Shelly (Anna Faris) is a Playboy bunny who after turning 27, or 59 in bunny years, is tossed out of the mansion. As an orphan Shelly as nowhere to go and stumbles onto a Greek Row of an unnamed university. Once there she discovers that the outfit/misfit sorority, Zeta Alpha Zeta, is in need of a house mother and they are also in need of 30 new recruits or the school is going to shut them down.

After the girls agree to let Shelly be their house mother she uses all the tricks she has learned as a bunny to help get new recruits to join ZAZ and teach the girls to fit in. All the while dealing with a rival sorority that wants the ZAZ house to expand.

This is where I lost interest in the movie. They bring on the smart love interest (Collin Hanks) for Shelly and show how easily fitting in can make one forget who they truly are. The movie uses a lot of stereotypes as punchlines over and over again and they really aren't even that funny the first time. Although I loved the way Shelly remembers peoples names.

The only reason this movie is even somewhat enjoyable is because of Anna Faris and to a lesser extent Emma Stone (who was great in Superbad) as one of the girls. The rest of the cast seems to be trying really hard and it just comes off as forced. So if you want to see a new movie in August you could do worse then The House Bunny, but I would wait until it hits the dollar theaters or Redbox.

If you have seen The House Bunny make sure to take part in the poll to the right.

-Eric




Okay I think I liked this a little better than Eric, but not much. We saw it together, and at the end we just kind of agreed it was predictable. It kind of reminded me of Sydney White.


There were parts where I laughed out loud. Other parts where I snickered and some where I sat there kind of annoyed. I really liked Anna Faris, and I liked Emma Stone as well. The rest of the cast was just blah and forgettable.


I liked it, but was glad I only paid five dollars for it, and kind of wished I would have waited for the dollar movies. Though I did find it entertaining. If you want a movie you don't have to do much thinking with and just a popcorn muncher, then see this. Also go into it knowing it's a fluff movie.


Caitlin

No comments: