Monday, March 16, 2009

Race to Witch Mountain


I have to confess that I was excited to see Race to Witch Mountain as I was a fan of the original movies, Escape to Witch Mountain and Return to Witch Mountain, from the late 70's and early 80's. What can I say I have a soft spot for those movies as I had watched them numerous times growing up, just don't ask me to explain them. I just remember that I liked them when I was little. Needless to say, I was excited when I heard they were doing a remake. It's the little things that bring me joy these days. Anyway on to the new movie...
...I have to say that I was not disappointed by Race to Witch Mountain. It was a fun family movie in the same vein has National Treasure, the first one not the second, that had something for everyone in the family. Action, Adventure, Mystery, Romance, Sci-Fi, you name it this movie has it. Did that make it feel like there was a lot going on at some points during the movie? Yes, but the overall plot moves along at a brisk pace and there is enough car chases and explosions to keep you from thinking about all the side stories to much. They are there for comic value and so on and do serve their roles well.
The cast here is led by Dwayne "No longer the Rock" Johnson, who seems to really be enjoying his time here. You really feel that he develops a connection to the two alien teens who hitch a ride in his cab at the start of the movie. This really is a movie for the whole family and there doesn't seem to be many of those out there these days that the whole family will actually all enjoy. It is rated PG and there are some frighting scenes that may scare the under 4 crowd, but come on it is a movie about aliens so I think you know what you are in for. It is no worse then E.T. so if they can handle that movie they should be okay here.

No comments: