Friday, March 6, 2009

Coraline

First things first, this is not a kids movie. Leave the under 6 crowd at home as this movie is creepy for adults let alone kids. Coraline is the story of a girl whose family moves into an apartment in a old house. As an only child Coraline is forced to be creative and mischievous when she is ignored by her parents. In exploring the new house she finds a small door that has been covered will wallpaper and bricked in. Late one night Coraline follows some mice into the door that has magically been un-bricked. On the other side she finds an alternate world where everything is perfect, the food, her parents, the neighbors, everything. Only thing is all the people have buttons for eyes. Coraline easily lets this go as life is good on this side of the door. After subsequent visits however things start to unravel. Coraline comes to understand that this world is not as it seems and to get back home she must save the souls of children trapped in this world.


This is where things start to get really creepy when when learn that the "other Mother" or ruler of this other world has no desire to give up her prized souls. Coraline makes a deal with her that if she finds the souls then they can all leave and if she doesn't the the other mother can take her eyes and replace them with buttons. Creepy!! I won't say any more but will say that Coraline realizes that her parents weren't so bad after all.


The stop motion animation here looks really cool and is one of the better movies I have seen in 3D, but the movie felt a little too long. If you are looking for a different animated movie this is the way to go, just make sure to leave the youngsters at home or be willing to be up with them after the nightmares.

2 comments:

caitlin said...

I thought this movie looked so creepy! I'm glad you warned me. Yes, I know I'm a chicken.

Anonymous said...

Psh, my kids loved it... yeah, I took them... no one else would see it with me *glare*