Sunday, January 3, 2010

Eric's Top 10 Movies of 2009

My favorite movie of 2009 was...Star Trek. As Caity said about 500 Days of Summer; Star Trek was just my kind of movie. It kept me entertained from beginning to end and even brought be back to the the theater for seconds, and thirds...and well you get the point.


Biggest disappointment of 2009...Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. I just expected this movie to be so much better.

My ten favorites from 2009...


1. Star Trek- Best reboot of any movie franchise every (Sorry James Bond). I can't wait for the next one.


2. Up- This movie had the most heart and the most original story of any movie this year. It just happened to be in cartoon form, which I think just adds to its greatness.


3. The Hangover- I have been informed that this is the ultimate boy movie. That may be true but it had me laughing throughout. It might have been rude and crude but it was also very funny and touching. Just like life can be.


4. 500 Days of Summer- "This is a story of boy meets girl" and you would be hard pressed to find a better story. The way this story is told (out of order) is great as is the cast, especially the two leads.


5. The Blind Side- Another movie with a lot of heart and the fact that it's based on a true story makes it that much better. Sandra Bullock is great in this movie and really shows off that she can act.


6. District 9- The second sci-fi movie to make my list this year. I liked that this movie was not afraid to make humans the bad guys and aliens the victims. Yet at the same time you are rooting for both sides.


7. State of Play- A great thriller that isn't all about action (not that there's anything wrong with that). Here the plot is king and the twist and turns are every which way. It kept me thinking all the way to the end.


8. Sherlock Holmes- Who knew that adding a bunch of action to a literary classic would be so much fun?


9. The Proposal- This movie was just silly fun. Plus you get to see (and laugh out loud with) the always enjoyable Betty White.


10. Avatar- This is a last minute addition to the list. I kept going back and forth on this movie because of it's long running time (3 hours) and somewhat predictable story (It reminded me of an old western, only set on a different planet). But the visual achievements were enough to sway me to give it the number 10 spot. It really is a feast for the eyes and the best movie I have seen in 3D. The TV spots do not do this movie justice.

No comments: