Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reviewed: Austrailia and Cupid

Another week another double review. Up this week Australia (now on DVD) and Cupid (Tuesdays on ABC).


I wanted to see Australia in theaters until I found out about its almost 3 hour running time. If movies are that long they should come with an intermission, so needless to say I did not see it in theaters. But thanks to the magic of DVD I finally caught up with the movie from down under a few weeks ago.

Australia comes from Baz Lurhman, who brought us Moulin Rouge and just like that movie stars Nicole Kidman. This trip to Oz also includes Hugh Jackman. The movie is really filmed well and is very enjoyable from a cinematic stand point. You are treated to views of Australia that are rarely seen in film as the movie does not take place in Sydney but rather in the rugged Northern Territory. The movie really felt like two distinct, separate movies. One about a wealthy English lady going to Australia to sell the cattle and land she and her husband own. There she meets a cattle hand and goes on the cattle drive with him and a few others in hope of restoring the farms prestige to make it easier to sell.

The second movie could have easily been the sequel to Pearl Harbor as it takes place in Darwin during the Japanese attacks of WWII. We have the same characters as before but the movie has a much different feel then it did before and takes on a much darker tone. Overall both parts of the movie are enjoyable and the cast makes it even more so, but I am glad I saw this one on DVD so that I could take a break between the two very different parts. The best part of this movie is the interaction between Kidman and Jackman and the aboriginal boy who links them. If you are looking for a good modern day epic-like movie then this is the way to go.


********************


Cupid is about a man who believes that he is the Greek god of the same name. Cupid, aka Trevor for the non-believers, has been thrown out of Mt. Olympus because he got a little to careless with his bow and arrow and can only return once he has united 100 couples that result in true love. Along for the ride is Cupid's therapist who takes responsibility for him so that he can leave the hospital. Claire, the therapist, believes that Trevor had is heart broken and this is what caused him to think that he was Cupid. We as the audience are left to make up our mind about which of these options is the true one. This lends a certain realistic feel to the show and it really has its funny moments. The supporting characters are great as well as the leads. If you don't have anything better to do on a Tuesday night, and I know I don't, then check out Cupid. You might just like it.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

I WAS SO ECXITED TO SEE AUSTRAILIA. THEY MADE IT LOOKS SO GOOD BUT WAS KIND OF SAD THAT IT WAS NOT THAT GOOD. I THINK IT COULD HAVE ENDED LIKE IN THE 2 HOUR BUT THEY DRAGGED IT OUT...GLAD I RENTED IT ALSO:) I LIKED YOUR REVIEW...

MisterE said...

Hi Lindsey! I think if it was two seaprate movies then each would have been good but together it was just long. I agree with you, it was just too looooong.

P.S. said...

Agreed Australia was TOO long! I kept thinking I could see the ending in sight but then they would throw in another mini-plot.
What did you think about Lost? The episode two weeks ago sure had A LOT of symbolism. WAY deep for a TV show but I liked it. And I loved Miles' story as well. It's getting really good!

The Girl in the Yellow Shoes said...

Ah, I liked Australia! It was long, but I was invested in the characters and I love Baz Luhrman's style!