Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lost


Lost. Yeah this show is totally living up to its name. When the season started I figured we might see what happened if flight 815 never crashed on the island which was Jacks plan. Or I figured we would see what would happen if Jacks plan didn't work. I never thought we would see both. At first I was hesitant of this, I mean this is the final season after all. How will they, or will they, tie these two story lines together? Some of the larger themes of Lost are Fate vs. Destiny, Faith vs. Science, Good vs Evil. This season it seems like those themes are all out in full force and just like in season 1 it seems I have no idea what is going on and who is good or bad. Is Jacob really the good guy here (I still think he is but am having some doubts as of late. See faith!) and is the Man in Black aka Smoky really bad?(Destiny??) I still think he is because so far the only person to live after an encounter with the Smoke Monster was Locke. The same Locke that the Smoke Monster is now calling home. Coincidence? (or Fate?) I think not.
Tonight's episode brought back a lot of season 1 greatness for me. The two bodies in the cave, Jack discussing his daddy issues and being just as confused and conflicted as ever; hence the smashing of the Lighthouses mirrors, (But at the same time part of me thinks that is all part of Jacobs plan. I just wish I knew what his plan was. I have faith that the writers know what they are doing so its all good!) Hurley and Jack out on a mission, Kate doing her own thing, Claire concerned about her baby. It all just makes me want to go back and re-watch season 1. We did find out how Jacob knew about the castaways before the island (the Lighthouse). We also learned that Jacob didn't want Jack and Hurley at the Temple. Could this be because the Lockeness Monster is on his way with Claire, unwilling Jin, and new sidekick Sawyer in tow? Speaking of Claire and FakeLocke, I loved how she called him her friend and stated that it wasn't Locke. I also like that she threatened Kate if she did in fact take Aaron (which we all know she did), this might just be because I have never been on Team Kate though.
On the sideways world side of things I have to say that I like sideways Jack and Locke much better then Island Jack and PastLocke. They just seem to be much better adjusted then there island counter parts. But it seems like Jack recalls his Island life and part of me wonders if this is in fact the reason that they are so well adjusted. The parts of Sideways world I don't care for: Lucky Hugo, he's just not quite as fun as Island Hugo. Plus poor Rose isn't in NY so does that mean she isn't with Bernard? Plus she is still dying. Don't like this at all. If Penney & Desmond and Rose & Bernard don't end up happily ever after I will be sad. I mean come on they are minor characters at least give them this! Then there is Sideways Kate, same as Island Kate just looking out for herself. Somethings never change. I am looking forward to the Sideways episode that finds Sawyer and Juliet together, preferably married and happy and no Kate anywhere in sight.
I wish I could give you thoughts and theories about how this will all turn out. Maybe the castaways will get to choose what life they want to live, Sideways or Island. Or maybe the Sideways castaways will somehow raise the island from the depths since it is there destiny? Or maybe the show will end with both story lines continuing on and letting us choose which one we want to believe is real. I really have no idea and while this was frustrating for the first few episodes, tonight's episode has reminded me that I had no idea what was going on in Season 1 and I loved it. I mean who would have guessed 6 seasons ago that this is where we would have ended up? Not me. And in the end that is what makes Lost great so I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

3 comments:

Caitlin Selle said...

I agree with Joe. I will translate. "Seriously what is going on? I am so Lost!"

He, he.

I am laughing out loud at your Lockness Monster reference. Too funny! Can't wait for tonight. I LOVE THIS SEASON!

awesongs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
awesongs said...

I am also really lost about this sixth season. I am going to wait to see the last episodes to judge if this season is as good as the third or the fourth ones, but I expected something really different to happen.